Tuesday 14 February 2017

Student Volunteer Spotlight: Yong Wei Tan

This week we checked in with one of our long standing mentors to find out what keeps him coming back to ReachOut. Yong has been volunteering since 2014 and has mentored at Shacklewell Primary, North Harringay Primary and Netley Primary in Camden. Yong is a fantastic mentor, enthusiastic and always keen to get involved...especially when it comes to dodgeball! Yong studies History at UCL and this year he was presented with the Jack Petchey Achievement Award for his commitment to ReachOut.  Here's what he had to say:

How and where did you find out about ReachOut?
I was first introduced to ReachOut at my university's Volunteering Fair in my first year. I had previously volunteered at a similar organization in Singapore, and was keen to continue helping in whatever capacity I could.

What motivated you to volunteer with ReachOut?
I've only managed to make it this far in life with the help and assistance of my teachers and mentors, and I thought that this would be my way of sharing my experience and giving back. ReachOut's emphasis on character development was something that I strongly believe in, and I felt that it would be a great chance to do my part, one kid at a time. 

What keeps you coming along?
Sometimes you feel like you're the mentee, because there's always something new to learn when you come for a session. I remember once when I had a bad day and I wasn't looking forward to ReachOut my mentee helped to cheer me up by sharing whatever little crisps he had with me. The attention and enthusiasm they give you makes you feel like you have to give them 100% as well, if not it's just not fair. It's also such a rewarding experience when you can track your mentee's growth throughout the sessions, and you feel like you've contributed towards changing their lives, even if it's by a little bit.

Is it a challenge to balance uni with volunteering? How do you do it? Is it worth it?
It's usually not a challenge, as the nature of ReachOut means that you'll be able to choose a session that is most suited to your timetable and commitments. Sometimes it gets a little rough when deadlines are looming, but you realise that 2 hours isn't that much of a big deal, and the time spent with these kids is going to be much more worthwhile than sitting in the library staring at your computer. It never feels like a chore, and I personally feel a very big sense of satisfaction and achievement when my mentee performs well during the session. 

Would you recommend volunteering with ReachOut to your friends or course mates? Why?
I would most definitely recommend ReachOut to my friends and course mates, because we are at the right age to serve as role models for the kids, and it never feels like a volunteering session when you're able to chat about football and joke about memes #feelsgoodman
Is there anything else about your experience with ReachOut that you’d like to share?
You don't just develop a close relationship with your mentee, but your fellow mentors as well. It's nice to have like-minded people that you can share a good joke with, or just play sports with. 




Thanks to Yong for his honest and inspiring insight into mentoring with ReachOut!

No comments:

Post a Comment